First Year of Concerts in the Bandstand 1892

The second band concert was enjoyed by the audience which turned out in great numbers so great that North Williams street was crowded. Both bridges were filled and
hundreds stood opposite the stand on Canal Street. So many were next to the bandstand that their weight made the sidewalk sink considerably.
The street commissioner, who repaired it the next day, said it was a wonder the walk did not go down under the pressure.

The only mar upon the evening was the conduct of the boys and young children who engaged in all sorts of sports instead of listening to the music. The noise was so
great one time that Professor Howe had to stop the music.

The oft heard pleas came through the columns of the newspaper — the police ought to take particular pains to be on hand during the concerts, the parents ought to take this opportunity to teach their children courtesy and consideration for others.

The concerts continued to bring out large numbers who enjoyed the programs. Soloists added to the enjoyment of the occasions. A.A. Butterfield of Boston, who was in town on business, gave a piccolo number. M.L. McIntyre on the clarinet and George Noyes on the xylophone rendered solos frequently. John Clark was receiving many compliments on his cornet playing. Messrs. Pond and Skeels gave attractive features.

The Military band and orchestra drew talented people to the community to work and play. C.E. Pond of Addison, Vt., was a first class cornet player. He came to
Whitehall to enter the business of steam laundryman in the Parke building, Clinton Avenue. Herman Fitts of Saratoga was an excellent tuba player; he brought his family and opened a cigar making business.

Prof. Leon Chany from Minneapolis made his home in Whitehall. He was a fine piano tuner and accomplished musician. He gave instructions in the violin, piccolo, flute, guitar and banjo. M.L. McIntyre was a tonsorial artist and clarinetist. He settled into a renovated barber shop with a “very pretty barber pole” he began with three chairs and three men.

Besides the weekly concerts here, these musical organization members, or groups of members, played in other towns and gave benefits. One benefit helped the Fair Haven Fire Department after a disastrous fire. One was a complimentary concert to the teachers of the Institute and another for the library fund. They traveled to Mechanicville for the Knights’ Daughters, to Fort Edward on the opening of the new Hotel Hudson, to Glens
Falls in the aid of a widow.

Many of the smaller groups of musicians were accompanied by outstanding vocal soloists. Such names as Mrs. R.C. Cook, Jessie Broughton, Franke Wilson, C.H.
Broughton and H.E. Sullivan are listed.

During this period of Whitehall history, the latter part of the 1800’s, music “had charms” seemingly for young and old as participant and audience.

Doris B. Morton, Town Historian – The Whitehall Times – October 9, 1980

This entry was posted in Bands and Bandstands, Doris B Morton and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.