The railroad Y.M.C.A. was very active one hundred years ago in its building on Canal Street. Its building, north of the present Knights of Columbus building, burned in 1911, and was replaced by the K. of C. home.
In 1887 the members, believing that a good library was one of the requirements of success in any association established a circulating library in its rooms. One of the first methods of obtaining books for its collection was to have an entertainment, admission to which would be a good book. Superintendent C. D. Hammond furnished a large bookcase. The employees of the D & H along the line favored the project. The library soon had 150 volumes. House cleaners had been urged to send their books.
Doris B. Morton, Town Historian – Whitehall Times – April 2, 1987