A collector of some years ago wrote down Whitehall events in day by day entries. Here are some anniversaries:
In April, 1803, the congregational rector, Rev. Cornelius Jones, died, he was the pastor of the White Church and was buried in the old Bartholomew cemetery, the one the local DAR has had cleaned.
In May, 1803, Daniel Lyon was born. He became a noted captain on Lake Champlain steamers.
In December, 1823, William Hannas and Charity Benjamin, daughter of Joseph Drake Benjamin, were married. Their home is the1827 building of the Barkleys on Broadway.
In December, 1823, there was a public meeting to express sympathy and raise funds for the Greeks in their struggle for Independence.
In the same month a Thanksgiving service was held in the school house, the Academy on Division Street. A service for the next Sabbath was planned for the same place.
The first burial in Boardman Cemetery took place with that of Nancy Boardman. The cemetery was formally opened four months later in June, 1853.
In June, 1853, an act was passed by the village authorizing a sum not to exceed $20,000 for the purpose of improving the water system.
Many of our local leaders were immigrants. In April, 1853, William B. Inglee came to Whitehall from Machias, Maine. In July, Dr. A. J. Long settled here and opened his office.
The George Brett Hose Company No. 2 was organized in January, 1878, and Robert H. Cook was appointed Receiver of the Whitehall Transportation in July.
In November, 1878, the new fire .alarm bell in the village building was dedicated with a great celebration.
In December, 1878, a village ordinance forbade the pitching of quoits in the streets.
Doris B. Morton, Town Historian – Whitehall Independent – August 31, 1978